Subject: Re: [office] RE: [office-comment] ODF security hazard? (ODF allversions)

Title: Re: [office] RE: [office-comment] ODF security hazard? (ODF all versions)
Both HTML and XML have well defined conformance.  XML is very terse and the instructions to throw errors and suspend parsing are unambiguous.

Re:HTML, the reality is that there are the formal standards, but then extensions and modifications by browser vendors.  W3 has a conformance checker online somewhere for the HTML 4.0 transitional rec.

On 21/02/09 6:01 PM, "Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:

I agree about malformed documents.  I would not have gone so far, and the
peculiarities of HTML in that regard are serious.

I don't recall what XML says about processing of non-well-formed documents
(don't have it in front of me and can't remember if it is deemed fatal or
not, although I would hope so.)

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Saturday, February 21, 2009 15:26
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [office] RE: [office-comment] ODF security hazard? (ODF all
versions)

Moving the discussion to the office list, where it belongs...

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 02/21/2009
05:32:30 PM:

> However, I think Postel's law is a great argument in favor of
predictable,
> permissive foreign-element handling.
>
>  - Dennis

Indeed, it is a good argument for an application handling such content.
But it is a poor argument for allowing such markup in conformant
documents.  It simply doesn't follow. Look at HTML, by analogy.  Most web
pages are not valid HTML.  Many are not even well formed.  Should we then
allow invalid and malformed documents to be considered conformant HTML?  I
don't think so.  But the presence of such documents on the web is a good
argument for designing a web browser to be robust when given such
non-conforming documents.  You could certainly specify such a robustness
requirement in the conformance clause for an HTML processor.