Subject: Re: RE: [office] Our Position on the Conformance Proposal

Hi Stephen

One extensibility clause that includes a conformance mechanism :-)
That's what I really want to avoid.

I believe there is a balance to be struck between predictability and
space for implementors to innovate.  Perhaps ironically, having a
tightly constrained document format can provide the best common basis
to innovate and be creative yet still play in tune with the other band
members.  There's no great history to draw on in terms of
standardized, interoperable office document formats.  Lots of not so
good history.  So whereas I can accept that you do really believe that
extensions are a critical part of a document standard, I think the
jury is still out over whether the benefits outweigh the cost.

You say that "extensions are a critical part of the standard", but I
rather think of them as extensions of the standard.  Which is not
necessarily bad (he says guardedly).  And if they use a well defined
extension mechanism then so much the better.  That to my mind is the
purpose of the extended conformance class.  It also seems clear that
continued work on such a mechanism, including porting some ideas from
OOXML, might be valuable but not this late in the cycle of v1.2.  But
the call for requirements is now open.

Regards
Bob