Subject: Re: RE: [office] Our Position on the Conformance Proposal

I think that there is value in knowing that a document contains no
extensions. In fact, I think producers should aim to use as few
extensions as possible to do what they want. If documents are produced
without extensions, it should be easier for consumers to implement the
functionality needed to process that document.

In conclusion and even though I am not a voting member right now, I
support the no-extension conformance class. I hope that it will
represent the way the the vast majority of documents are produced so
that we will have the greatest variety of consumers. The part I don't
like of the dual conformance clauses is that it even allows something
that has extensions to be called ODF. Defining this standard is, for
me, about interoperability and not about allowing mass divergence from
the standard through extensions. Otherwise, what point is there in
having the standard?

Sincerely,
wt