Subject: RE: [office] Proposal: Expression of Support for Maintenance Principles

I accept your substitution.

 - Dennis

PS: +1

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 01, 2009 13:57
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: Re: [office] Proposal: Expression of Support for Maintenance
Principles

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 03/01/2009
01:49:16 PM:

> PROPOSED MOTION (addition to the 2009-03-09 Coordination Call agenda
> requested):
>
>     The OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications
>     (OpenDocument) TC hereby expresses its concurrence,
>     support, and commitment to fulfillment of the principles
>     for maintenance of the OpenDocument Format Standard set
>     forth in the Memorandum of Principles Between OASIS and
>     ISO/IEC JTC 1 [1].
>
>     The OpenDocument TC pledges itself to carrying out those
>     specific steps necessary for implementation that are
>     its responsibility under these principles.
>

> [1] Maintenance of OpenDocument Format Standard.  Memorandum of
> Principles Between OASIS and ISO/IEC JTC 1, document
> maintenance_principles_08 (final).odt transmitted to the ODF TC as
> an attachment to "ISO/IEC 26300 maintenance protocols" from Robert
> Weir, 2009-02-20.  Available at <http://lists.oasis-open.org/
> archives/office/200902/msg00207.html>.

Dennis, if it wasn't clear from what my note, the documents I circulated
were drafts.  The final version may differ, hopefully only slightly.  So
the language you are proposing may be a bit strong.  In particular, we
might want to express "concurrence and support" now based on the draft,
and if when there is a final version, we adopt TC Standing Rules that
operationalize the details.

In general, the rules allow us to express an opinion "the sense of the TC"
as a resolution which we adopt.  And we can adopt Standing Rules that
govern how we do the work of the TC, so long as it doesn't conflict with
OASIS rules.

So maybe we can recast your motion something like this:

"Resolution Supporting Draft Memorandum of Principles Between OASIS and
ISO/IEC JTC 1

Whereas the members of OASIS ODF TC, have reviewed the draft Memorandum of
Principles Between OASIS and ISO/IEC JTC 1 [1], and have found these
principles acceptable.

Now, therefore, be it resolved that the OASIS ODF TC expresses its its
concurrence, support, and commitment to fulfillment of the principles  for
maintenance of the OpenDocument Format Standard set forth in the
Memorandum of Principles Between OASIS and ISO/IEC JTC 1 [1].

Be it also resolved that the OASIS ODF TC express its intent to adopt
Standing Rules necessary to implement the Principles of the Memorandum,
once said Memorandum is finalized.

Be it further resolved that the text of this Resolution be included in the
minutes of this meeting and that the ODF TC Chairs transmit these minutes
to the OASIS Director of Standards."