Subject: review of editor's notes in chapter 6

Hi Patrick,

I had a look at the editor's notes in chapter 6 of our ODF 1.2
specification, committee draft 1.

Here are my proposed solutions/questions/comments:
- two ed. notes in "6.2 Common Characteristics of Field Elements"
IMHO, the already deleted text is not needed.

- ed. note in "6.3.1 General"
Already deleted text can stay deleted in my opinion.

- ed. note in "6.3.9 <text:file-name>"
My answers to the two questions in this ed. note are "Never" for the
first one and "No" for the second one. Thus, this document field is for
the file of the document instance in question, IMHO.

- First ed. note in "6.4.1 General"
The observation of the editor's note is somehow correct. The problem is
that our definition of a variable is not as good as it could be.
A proposal, worked out by Michael Stahl and myself, to solve this issue
is to replace
<quote>
A variable is a name/value pair. Variable names are used throughout a
document to identify a particular variable, and therefore variable names
cannot be reused.
</quote>
by something like
<quote>
A variable holds a value that may vary and it is identified by a certain
name, called variable name. This variable name is unique throughout a
document.
</quote>

- Second ed. note in "6.4.1 General"
I vote for handling the display of variables under styles.

- ed. note in "6.4.4 <text:variable-set>"
In my opinion the content of a <text:variable-set> also reflects the
application of the style to the set value. Thus, not in all cases the
content exactly equals the value stored in the attributes.
E.g. the value of a variable of type float is "42". This is stored in
attribute office:value="42". But, the applied style defines that the
variable should be displayed with the minimum of 4 digits. Thus, its
content would be "0042".
Thus, the sentence, referenced by the ed. note, is correct. But, I do
not know, if its part "..., which can be empty if the text:display
attribute is set to none." is needed.

- ed. note in "6.4.5 <text:variable-get>"
IMHO, in this case the value of the variable is somehow undefined -
similar to the case of an uninitialized variable in several programming
languages.
I expect that in this case the ODF supporting application uses a
reasonable value, e.g. empty string for variables of type string and
zero for variables of a number type, ...

- ed. note in "6.4.13 <text:sequence>"
I do not think that we have defined the default start value for sequence
variables. Thus, I propose to add the following text (or something
similar) to the definition of sequence variable in "6.4.1 General"
<quote>
The value of a sequence variable is initialized to 0 (zero) by its
declaration.
</quote>

- first ed. note in "6.5.13 <text:editing-cycles>"
IMHO, the difference between <meta:editing-cycles> and
<text:editing-cycles> is that <meta:...> is an attribute, which is not
part of the document's content, while <text:...> can occur several times
in the document to present the number of editing cycles in the
document's content itself. <text:...> can also contain former revision
numbers of the document by using its attribute text:fixed.
In order to complete the increment process I suggest to add the text "by
1" at the end of the paragraph.

- second ed. note in "6.5.13 <text:editing-cycles>"
I agree to the made suggestion.

- first ed. note in "6.5.15 <text:modification-time>"
My answer to the question in this ed. note is:
In order to represent <dc:date> value in the document's content. By
using its attribute text:fixed also former values of <dc:date> can be
represented.

- second ed. note in "6.5.15 <text:modification-time>"
I agree to this ed. note.

- ed. note in "6.5.16 <text:modification-date>"
I agree to this ed. note. Note: The to be deleted text is still present

- ed. note in "6.5.18 Document Statistics Fields"
I do not understand the purpose of this ed. note.

- ed. notes in "6.6 Database Fields"
Unfortunately, no input from my side to the ed. notes in this sub chapter :(

- ed. note in "6.7.2 <text:placeholder>"
IMHO, <text:placeholder> is replaced by the content of the type, which
is indicated by its text:placeholder-type attribute, when the user
starts editing a <text:placeholder>

- ed. note in "6.7.8 <text:sequence-ref>"
I have no objections to the action described in this ed. note.

- ed. note in "6.7.10 <text:execute-macro>"
As my colleague Oliver Specht already stated - see my forwarded mail
from december 2008
(http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200812/msg00081.html)- the
content of <text:execute-macro> is currently used as the description.

Best regards, Oliver.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 955
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer