Subject: Re: [office] ODF 1.2 cd 01 - separation of attributes of namespacestyle in chapter 18 and 19

Hi Patrick,

Michael has already told me the separation criteria.

I want to give my view on it in order to more or less start a discussion
about how we should separate the attributes.
But, you are right. For the moment we need a clear separation criteria
and can revisit it in our next ODF version - I am fine with that.

Please assure for ODF 1.2 in case that an attribute occurs in both
chapters, that the text content is not simply the same ;-)

Best regards, Oliver.

Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Oliver,
>
> The criteria used to separate the attributes into chapters 18 or 19 was:
>
> Does the attribute appear on a <style:*-properties> element?
>
> If the answer is yes, then the attribute appears in chapter 19.
>
> If the answer is no, then the attribute appears in chapter 18.
>
> For those that appear in both, you will note that the attributes appear
> both on <style:*-properties> and on other elements as well.
>
> I wanted to preserve that fact for the time being.
>
> I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment but do note that
> style:style and style:style-name reference styles, so in what sense
> would you say they are "formatting" properties?
>
> Would you argue that we should use a definition of "formatting" property
> to be one that specifies some aspect of presentation and that is not a
> reference to a style?
>
> Take 18.502 style:num-format for instance. It is an attribute on
> <text:list-level-style-number>, which is itself a child of
> <text:list-style>, which specifies and provides a name for referencing a
> list style.
>
> Of course you can reply by pointing to the appearance of this attribute
> on <text:word-count> where it clearly isn't used as part of a style,
> although it does affect the presentation of information.
>
> My personal suspicion is that we haven't been completely consistent in
> separating all formatting to be applied via styles as distinct from
> structure. That is actually quite difficult and any division of
> formatting versus structure represents a series of choices that
> determine other choices. We may want to revisit some of those choices
> for ODF-Next but at this point I suspect we need to settle for a basis
> on which we can articulate the current division.

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 955
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer