Subject: Re: [office] ODF CD01: Responses to editorial notes in the graphicschapter

Michael,

Thanks!

I do have some follow up questions:

dr3d:lighting-mode, when used with 3D objects, we now say:

> The |dr3d:lighting-mode| attribute specifies the lighting algorithm
> used to render a 3D object.
>
> The value of this attribute can be |standard| or |double-sided|. If
> the value is |double-sided|, the reverse sides of the object are also
> lighted.

My note and the response:

> Ed. Note We should define “standard” in some meaningful way.
>
> CL: “standard” should have named “single-sided” as it is the oposite
> of “double-sided”, meaning that only front faces will be lit. Readers
> with 3D knowledge will know what a front face is, others will not care
> much...

Actually there is a more difficult problem than standard vs. double-sided.

Note first sentence says that the attribute "specifies the lighting
algorithm...."

We then say: "this attribute can be standard or double-sided."

And those are in fact the only values for this attribute.

I suppose one could argue that "specifies" means to choose between
algorithms that illuminate the face of an object versus both sides
rather than naming an algorithm but that sounds weak to me.

Suggest:

*****
The dr3d:lighting mode attribute specifies the illumination of a 3D object.

The dr3d:lighting-mode attribute values are:

* standard - front face of an object is illuminated

* double-sided - front and reverse sides of an object are illuminated
*****

**************************

18.134 draw:corner-radius

Now reads:

> The |draw:corner-radius| attribute specifies the radius of the circle
> used to round off the corners of a caption |<draw:caption>|, rectangle
> |<draw:rect>|, or a text-box |<draw:text-box>|.

My comment and the response:

> Ed. Note We need to say what happens if both draw:corner-radius and
> svg:rx/ry are both present? Which one controls? Shouldn't
> svg:rx/svg:ry be available for text-box and caption as well?
>
> CL: I would say the svg attributes control. And yes also for text-box
> and caption.
>
> The |svg:rx| and |svg:ry| attributes can also be used to round off the
> corners of a rectangle |<draw:rect>|.

So would the following be acceptable text:

*****
The |draw:corner-radius| attribute specifies the radius of the circle
used to round off the corners of a caption |<draw:caption>|, rectangle
|<draw:rect>|, or a text-box |<draw:text-box>|.

The |svg:rx| and |svg:ry| attributes can also be used to round off the
corners of a rectangle |<draw:rect>|.

If draw:corner-radius, svg:rx and svg:ry attributes are applicable to
the corner of a rectangle, the value of the draw:corner-radius is ignored.
*****

Note that adding svg:rx and svg:ry to the schema for draw:text-box and
draw:caption would of necessity require the same explanation for the
presence of draw:corner-radius and svg:rx/svg:ry.

It may be that elements should have either draw:corner-radius or
svg:rx/svg:ry but not both. Quite possibly (in some future release) only
one mechanism for all rounding of corners.

Comments/suggestions?

**********************************

draw:modifiers

We currently say:

> The |draw:modifiers| attribute contains list of modifier values. The
> modifier can be a float value.

My comment and the response:

> Ed. Note We don't define this “list” of values. Whitespace separated?
> Isn't that a string, not a list?
>
> SJ: Yes, in XML context this attribute is a string. But this string is
> encoding a list of integer and or float values (white space
> separated). Other attributes (draw:enhanced-path, draw:formula,
> draw:glue-points) are referencing to single entries of this list.
>
> modifiers::= modifiersequence?
> modifiersequence ::= number (' ' modifiersequence)*
> number::= sign? float | sign? integer
> float::= fractional exponent? | integer exponent
> fractional::= integer? '.' integer | integer '.'
> exponent::= ( 'e' | 'E' ) sign? integer
> sign::= '+'| '-'
> integer::= [0-9]+
>
> The draw:modifiers can referenced by other attributes as draw:formula
> or draw:handle-position, indexing starts at 0.

Suggested revision:

*****
The draw:modifiers specifies a white-space delimited set of signed
integer or float values. These values can be referenced by other
attributes by specifying an appropriate indexing value. Indexing starts
at 0.
*****

Glad you mentioned the references because I come up with:

draw:enhanced-path, draw:glue-points, draw:handle-position,
draw:text-areas but no draw:formula searching on| "draw:modifiers|
attribute.

The reason for that omission is that under draw:formula we say:

> The |draw:formula| attribute specifies an equation that should be used
> to evaluate a value. A formula can make use of other formulas or
> modifier values by function and or modifier reference.

True enough the modifier reference is in the EBNF but we should make the
prose consistent with the other instances.

I have inserted a new Ed. Note at that location as a marker.

****************************

draw:path-stretchpoint-x

We say:

> The |draw:path-stretchpoint-x| attribute with the
> |draw:path-stretchpoint-y| attribute specifies the stretchpoint of a
> shape.

My comment and the reply:

> Ed. Note We don't say if both draw:path-stretchpoint-x and
> draw:path-stretchpoint-y must both be present or it is an error. It is
> implied but not stated.
>
> SJ: They must not be present, as each attribute is having a default value.

Sorry, I don't understand the answer.

Can you say a bit more about that one?

I am going to start with draw:start-glue-point tomorrow.

Hope you are at the start of a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)