Subject: TC's discussion on public comment #210 [was: Re: [office] OpenDocumentTC coordination call minutes 2009-03-16 (revised)]

Hi Florian,

Florian Reuter wrote:
> Dear TC members,
>
> Wrt to:
>  > The TC was in agreement that behavior that is implementation
>  > defined in ODF 1.0 and 1.1 cannot be defined in an ODF 1.0/1.1 errata
>  > since this would be a substantial change.
>
> So what is the solution then? Do nothing?

When I recall our last TC's call correct and when I look at the minutes,
further actions are discussed, but due to the end of our TC's call, we
did not decide on any further action.

> I personally think it should be mentioned in an errata that there is a
> problem with paragraph numbering and it should be explained what the
> problem is so that everybody is clear about what constructs to avoid.

 From my point of view the purpose of an errata for a released ODF
specification is not to describe problems of this ODF specification - it
purpose is to correct this ODF specification.
Thus, I personally do not think that an errata should contain such an
explanation.

> Bottom line: For the "continue" behavior of ODF 1.0/1.1 paragraph
> numbering at least two interpretations exists.

I assume that you mean by <"continue" behavior of ODF 1.0/1.1 paragraph
numbering> the list continuation specified by attribute
text:continue-numbering. Is this correct?

As already mentioned in
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office/200903/msg00090.html I know
the following two interpretations of text:continue-numbering:
- A wrong one, implemented in OpenOffice.org 2.x - from my point of view
not a valid interpretation, because this is obviously an error of
OpenOffice.org 2.x
- The correct one, when carefully reading the ODF 1.0/1.1 specification.
Which "two interpretations" do you have in mind?

Best regards, Oliver.

>  >>> Michael Brauer - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg
> <Michael.Brauer@Sun.COM> 03/23/09 8:58 AM >>>
> [revised minutes: Doug Mahugh did not have voting rights for this meeting]
>
> * Discussion of public comments:
>
> - 205: The suggested reference http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/
> seems to be appropriate, but should be turned into a bibliographic
> reference.
> - 206: Formula issue, already resolved
> - 207: (Formula) proposal
> - 208: (Incompatible) name changes will not be considered for ODF 1.2 as
> well as for ODF 1.0 and 1.1 erratas, but may be considered for ODF-Next.
> - 209: (Formula) proposal
> - 210: The TC was in agreement that behavior that is implementation
> defined in ODF 1.0 and 1.1 cannot be defined in an ODF 1.0/1.1 errata
> since this would be a substantial change. The TC was further in
> agreement that the mentioned issue is resolved in ODF 1.2. Since this
> resolution seemed not to be sufficient for all TC members, it was
> discussed whether additional actions would be possible and reasonable.
> It was stated that vendors in any case could document the behavior they
> have implemented. The discussion was adjourned.
>

> * Adjournment
>
> The meeting was adjourned at 5:05pm CET
>
> --
> Michael Brauer, Technical Architect Software Engineering
> StarOffice/OpenOffice.org
> Sun Microsystems GmbH Nagelsweg 55
> D-20097 Hamburg, Germany michael.brauer@sun.com
> http://sun.com/staroffice +49 40 23646 500
> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1,
> D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
> Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Oliver-Rainer Wittmann
Nagelsweg 55             Software Engineer - OpenOffice.org/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg
Germany                  Fax:   (+49 40) 23 646 955
http://www.sun.de        mailto:oliver-rainer.wittmann@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft:

Oliver-Rainer Wittmann (od) - OpenOffice.org Writer