Subject: Re: [office] Public Comment #217 - Authoritative Version of Specification

Sorry, but I can't resist.

If the authoritative version of the spec is to be an XML format, then
that would be content.xml. I don't expect that most people reading the
spec would even *know* that there was an error in the display unless
they were comparing two different versions, and would then have
difficulty trying to parse out the XML itself. They would still be
left with the question - which one is right? Particularly if one
implementation happened to drop some XML, they wouldn't even know it
was missing.

I agree that PDF can introduce errors, and am usually a proponent of
the editable source as the authoritative format for the reasons Robin
already stated.. I am beginning to think, however, that any TC using
some flavor of OpenDocument should have to declare the particular
tool, as I too see differences in content depending on if I look at
the file in OO or Symphony. I don't have other OpenDocument tools
uploaded to test, but I'm guessing some things would render
differently depending on the tool's capabilities and conformance level.

The reality is that whatever output format is deemed by the TC to be
authoritative, the TC must carefully review that output to ensure that
it is accurate in all respects.

Regards,

Mary