Subject: RE: [office] Discussion: Public Comment and Errata Urgency/Priority/Action Levels

Hi Peter,

The JIRA Priorities are clearly defined around software deliverables and also support after deployment.  There are other deficiencies, but I don't suppose to go into battle over that.

I do recommend that we come up with an understanding of these level that correspond in clear-cut ways to creation of specifications and documentation of other kinds.  Likewise, we need to understand how to calibrate the importance of responding to defect reports on that scale.

I don't have any specific recommendation.  We should think it over.

 - Dennis

MORE BACKGROUND

My first thought was that the action/urgency levels I had in mind interleaved around the five JIRA "priorities."

I now see it is more complicated than that.  First the JIRA priorities are not priorities ("trivial" is not a priority) and the tool-tips that go with them reveal even more about them as being judgments about the issue.

"Blocker" is an interesting one, and it applies to in-progress work, of course.  I can see ways to use that.

Here's a crude mapping (very crude, I am just playing here):
    Urgency	     JIRA Priority    Severity

0: no action (an actual resolution in JIRA)
                 trivial        5: matter of style
                 (cosmetic)     4: de minimis
1. elective
                 minor (can workaround)
2. desirable                    3. mandated
3. important                    2. insufficient
4. urgent        major          1. serious
                 (loss of function)
5. critical      critical       0. critical
                 (fails)
                 blocker
                 (cannot proceed)

You can slide the Urgency and Severity notions around the JIRA Priorities in different ways.  I'm not going to fuss over that.  I think making something sensible about the JIRA Priorities that work for us in terms of urgency and level of response is good enough.