Subject: Using JIRA

A quick update on JIRA, and some thoughts on how we can use it.  Although
we could sit down and define an elaborate formal process, I don't think
that is necessary or desirable at this point.  We're replacing an informal
process that involved a number of mailing lists and a spreadsheet and a
wiki with an informal process that involves JIRA.  Let's migrate what we
have over to the new technology.  Then, if we want to adopt a more formal
process, we can discuss that.  But we're not obligated to adopt a more
formal process merely because we're moving to JIRA.  These are two
separate decisions.

The following are a list of issue sources, along with my recommendations
on how we should deal with them:

1) Legacy comments on the office-comments list.  I've migrated them all
over to the JIRA already.  This includes "real" comments that we should
discuss and resolve, as well background chatter on the comment list that
we can ignore.

I'm in the process of closing all migrated comments that are not real
comments.  In some cases this can be done in bulk.  For example, all items
from the comment list where I am the author are not real comments and have
been closed.

2) Existing assignments and dispositions from the "Registry of Comments"
spreadsheets.  I will note each of our prior decisions in the
corresponding issue in JIRA.  So if something was noted as "Michael will
investigate" then I will open the issue and assign to Michael.  If we said
that something would be addressed in the next ODF 1.0 Errata, then I will
open the issue and assign ODF 1.0 Errata and ODF 1.2 (if appropriate) as
the target releases.   Comments that came in during the ODF-Next call for
proposals will be assigned to ODF-Next.

Note that the two Japanese Defect reports are already in the spreadsheet,
so they will be reflected in JIRA by this step.

3) New comments from the comment list.  Periodically, perhaps monthly for
now, more frequently during public review periods, I will migrate over
comments from the public comment list.  If we can keep discussion on that
list to a minimum, then we'll get less "junk" in JIRA.  I think we want to
get into the habit of commenting on comments within JIRA, adding new
information in JIRA, etc., so the JIRA record reflects the most-complete
and current state of the issue.

4) Legacy member proposals from the TC's wiki.
http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/List_of_Proposals

This is the consolidated list of proposals which TC members made last
November.  Some of these made it into ODF 1.2 when we voted in December.
We said that the remainder would be deferred to ODF-Next.  I will enter a
JIRA issue corresponding to each of these deferred proposals so we don't
lose track of them.

5) Legacy member comments.  If you have a comment on the ODF 1.2 draft
that has not yet been addressed in CD 02, and it is not already recorded
via one of the above mechanisms, then please enter it as a new issue in
JIRA, so we can track it to resolution.  I do not plan on scouring the
list archives to find these issues.  So if you want something addressed,
then you will need to add it yourself to JIRA.

6) New member comments.  If any member has other proposals or comments on
the text, please create an issue for it in JIRA.  Even simple
typographical errors are best tracked in JIRA.  There is no need to send a
separate email to the TC when you create a new JIRA issue, since an email
will be sent automatically.

7) New Defect reports from SC34. I will transcribe any new defect reports
we receive from SC34  into JIRA.

8) Subcommittee issues.  If any subcommittee has a list of issues that
they have been reporting on their lists, they need to find a way of
getting them into JIRA.  This mainly applies to the OpenFormula SC.

Are there any other sources of issues that we need to deal with?  I know
Patrick has some issues he is tracking in the text of the draft, as
editor's notes.  I'll leave to him whether we wants to transcribe those
into JIRA or not.

Regards,