Subject: RE: [office] <style:default-style>, <style:default-page-layout>

On Fri, 2009-05-22 at 14:48 -0700, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> 1. Andreas: It is indeed the case you raise that I had in mind.  If a
> "default" is explicit in the file, put their by the generating application,
> we are fine.  When the generating application does not do that, and the
> consumers each have their own approach (the implementation specific value)
> that is taken silently, that is the problem.

Dennis,

I was commenting on the fact that Patrick seemed to miss that the
default-style in the file and the implementation-default style could be
different.

I still do not see a problem here.

Yes, the document could indeed look different in a reading
implementation that has different defaults. But I find that positive.
The creating application could fix all styles in the file if it desired
to have the appearance fixed, but I can also imagine situation where you
do not want that to happen. (In the academic world with respect to
journal submission in Mathematics you hardly ever would want that
happen, but of course it would be very unlikely that a file format like
ODF would ever be acceptable for this purpose.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA
Coordinator, Mathematical & Computing Sciences