Subject: Re: [office] surface plots

On Fri, 2009-07-31 at 15:02 +0200, Eike Rathke wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> Answer from Ingrid:
>
> ---%<---snip---%<---
>
> Hi,
>
> > ----- Forwarded message from "Andreas J. Guelzow" <aguelzow@pyrshep.ca> -----
> >
> > Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 15:33:02 -0600

> >> The ODF 1.0 description says:
> >> "The data points are interpreted as tabular data, where each value
> >> defines a 'height'
> >> at a specific grid location."
> >> There is nothing said, that some values are interpreted as x values,
> >> some as y and some as height. It says *each value defines a 'height'*.
> >> So I don't see how your interpretation could fit into that description.
> >
> > The series would give a range of B2:E6 so all those data points are in
> > fact heights.

> >> Well nice! Come up with a proposal for a new value for attribute
> >> chart:class to describe your xyz-surfaces and contours!

> >> Because this was not specified.
> >
> > Perhaps I missed it but where were the equidistant points specified ?
> >

> The specification says that the heights should be located at a grid.
> That is naturally understood as something equidistant. As nothing
> further is said about the grid it must be assumed

Sorry, but there is no reason that this"must be assumed".

>  that this grid is
> formed by the indexes of the height values within the so called 'tabular
> data'.
>
> Your adding of additional values for the grid locations is in conflict
> with this specification and is therefor wrong.

I see no conflict. Your interpretation is assumed. Apparently we are
assuming different things.

You seems to ignore the primary difference between our interpretations:
A single series with tabular data versus a sequence of series (so no
tabular data) in your interpretation.

ODF 1.1 talks about multiple series for a few chart types: scatter (this
seems to be changed for 1.2 to use chart:domain), stock, bubble (again
this was changed for 1.2 to use chart domain). By default all others use
a single series. Location in scatter and bubble in the current 1.2 draft
uses chart:domain. SO it is reasonable to assume that the same is true
for "surface".

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow@pyrshep.ca>