Subject: Re: [office] table:null-year

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 08/20/2009 03:03:36 PM:

> I ran across table:null-year while making sure we have definitions for
> all the attributes, etc.
>
> Don't know if it should be an issue but thought I should at least ask.
>
> We say:
>
> > The |table:null-year| attribute specifies the start year for year
> > values that contain only two digits. All two digit year values are
> > interpreted as a year that equals or follows the start year.
> >
> > The default value for this attribute is |1930|.
> >
> Well, I can remember when 1930 would be a very good default value. ;-)
>
> Question, perhaps for ODF-Next, is that the default we want now?
>
> I suppose it is a question of user expectation, noting that I have no
> idea what an "average" user would want.

This is a Y2K conversion hack.  You see this a lot when you deal with data
produced before people realized that two-digit year abbreviations were
evil.  So when interpreting such two-digit years you commonly use a
heuristic that makes use of a cutoff date.

I don't know what wisdom went into the choice, but it seems that a lot of
systems use 1930 as the cutoff date.

In the end it is still a hack, and if people use two digit years for new
data, they'll run into the same problem if they start referring to years
past 2030.