Subject: Re: [office] Office-1812

Hi,

On 09/29/09 17:54, robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Eike Rathke <erack@sun.com> wrote on 09/29/2009 11:16:40 AM:
>

> We need to partition the requirements carefully between Part 1 and
> OpenFormula.  I'd like OpenFormula to be independent of XML, i.e., not say
> anything about the namespace prefix.  And I'd like it to also be
> independent of recalculation settings.  OpenFormula is a formula
> expression specification, not a spreadsheet specification.

+1. That appears to be very reasonable approach to me.

> As for whether we require a namespace prefix, although it is a clean
> approach to require it, the implementation cost in terms of
> reading/writing the document is substantial, since these prefixes would
> need to be added to every cell that contains a formula.  It might only be
> a three extra characters "of:" per cell, but you could easily have 100,000
> cells.

I agree to that as well.

> Would it be possible to allow this to be defined at the document-level,
> something like table:formula-namespace="urn:foo"?  I cannot imagine that
> anyone is going to mix formula languages in the same document.  If we did
> that we could eliminate the namespace prefix altogether for table:formula.
>
> If so we can state (in Part 1) that the default value of
> table:formula-namespace is that of OpenFormula, and that support of that
> expression language is required for Spreadsheet conformance.  However, the
> "extended" conformance class would allow other formula namespaces, in
> which case the expression language would be implementation-defined.

That may be an option, but do we really need that? Why not just say that
the default for ODF 1.2 are OpenFormula formulas. For different formula
expressions, there still is the option to add a (short) namespace
prefix. I mean, we have created OpenFormula to get a standardized
formula specification for ODF. My expectation therefore is that
implementors of ODF 1.2 support the formula specification, and that it
is the exception that other formula languages are used. For that
exceptions, it appears to be okay for me if a namespace prefix is
required on each formula.