Subject: RE: [office] Proposal for new Standing Rule regarding Electronic Ballots

Note in particular, an electronic ballot is just a form of voting.  In a
meeting, if a motion is made and seconded, it will be voted on unless the
motion is withdrawn, or unless the motion is decided by unanimous consent
rather than a vote.  We don't require a vote to have a ballot.  Just a
motion and a second.

Now strictly speaking, we can have  a period of debate between when the
motion is made and when we vote on it.  And the debate could drag on and
on in a dilatory fashion.  At that point Roberts Rules offers us the
motion to end debate, typically via the statement "I move the previous
question", after which a 2/3 vote to end debate would cause the main
question to be brought up for a vote.  However, I've never found the
occasion to do this on a TC call.  Typically, Chairs can tell if a
question requires more substantive discussion and we would (with
permission of the member making the original motion) ask for more
discussion on the list and delay the vote to a later week if it is clear
that this would lead to greater consensus and/or a better proposal.
However, it is always the right of the original mover to have a vote
immediately, if they desire.

If we request electronic ballots via the list, the same general principles
apply.  One safety net might be to require a 24 delay between the time a
motion is made and when the electronic ballot begins.  This would allow
members to raise objections, e.g., the specification is not eligible for a
vote yet, etc.  I'd phrase this as "No electronic ballot requested under
this Standing Rule shall commence less than 24 hours after the motion to
open an electronic ballot is made on the TC's mailing list."

-Rob

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 10/10/2009
03:11:10 PM:

> RE: [office] Proposal for new Standing Rule regarding Electronic Ballots
>
> +1
>
>  - Dennis
>
> [I wondered if more precision was required and then gave up.  This seems
> be enough to make a standing rule.  One can probably rely on Robert's
Rules
> for anything else.]

Electronic
> Ballots
>
> [ ... ]
>

> My proposed Standing Rule is:
>

> "In accordance with OASIS Technical Committee Process 2.13, the OASIS
ODF