Subject: Feature under evaluation at Redflag 2000

Dear TC members,

our team at Redflag 2000 is currently evaluating a feature related to
tables in word processors, we call 'Floating Table Positioning'. So far,
tables cannot be absolutely positioned in ODF text documents, except
they are embedded in a "draw:frame" element, please refer section 9.4.2
in ODF 1.2, Part 1, CD03[1]. Other document standards, namely OOXML
(section 17.4.60 tblPr, Part 1, ISO 29500, Page 484) and UOF support
absolute positioning of tables in text documents, quite similar to
"draw:frame" in ODF, so we would like to submit a proposal that adds
this feature in order to increase interoperability.

Consequently, I would like to raise two questions:

1) Is any TC member already working on a similar feature?

2) Considering such feature seems to be quite obvious, as well it is
quite easy to add, hence I would like to know if there is a telling
argument, why it hasn't made it into ODF yet?

Best regards,
Peter

[1]
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/33633/OpenDocument-v1.2-part1-cd03.odt

--
Peter Junge
Open Source Strategy Director

Beijing Redflag Chinese 2000 Software Co., Ltd.
Building No.2, Block A, Huilongsen, 18 Xihuan Nanlu
Beijing Economic-Technological Development Area
100176 Beijing - P.R.China

北京红旗中文贰仟软件技术有限公司
地址:北京经济技术开发区(亦庄)西环南路18号汇龙森A座二层
邮编:100176