Subject: Re: [office] SC34 WG6 meeting

Doug,

I don't normally comment on the by-play between vendors and it isn't my
plan to make it a practice now.

I did not attend the SC 34 WG6 meetings so will leave comments on what
was or wasn't said to those who did attend.

I am familiar with the participation of Microsoft in the ODF TC and can
say from experience (and the record should anyone care to look at it)
that Microsoft has been a valuable and contributing member of the ODF TC.

I note that in Windows 7 that WordPad supports ODF as one of its
formats. I don't know how else to characterize the inclusion of a format
in a product as widely available and used as WordPad as other than as
supportive of ODF.

I welcome the use of ODF by all parties, open source projects,
governments, commercial vendors (yes, there are a few of those still
around) and anyone else who needs a robust document format. ODF 1.2,
which the TC is working on finishing when it isn't distracted by other
issues, promises to be a major step in the development of office
formats. (OK, that last statement reflects a personal prejudice. ;-) )

Hope everyone is having a great week!

Patrick

Doug Mahugh wrote:

> I've read with some concern Rob's latest blog post, here:
> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/12/relevancy-of-odf-10.html. Although
> not an official ODF TC document, it comes from the co-chair of the TC
> and it's addressing a matter of ODF maintenance, so I expect that many
> people will see it as an authoritative source of information about
> recent developments in ODF maintenance.
>
> I’m concerned about this statement in particular, which is essentially
> the centerpiece of the post:
>
> > Some of the nattering nabobs in SC34 (e.g., Alex Brown) are floating
> the idea that ODF 1.0 should be withdrawn from ISO,
>
> > claiming it is not implemented and not relevant. At the recent SC34
> meeting in Paris this view was echoed by a Microsoft
>
> > participant (one of many) in the meeting, who additionally urged
> that a motion to withdraw ODF 1.0 be brought forward
>
> > at the Stockholm SC34 Plenary in March.
>
> I was there at the WG6 meeting, and I don't recall this happening, nor
> can I find any reference to this in the minutes of the meeting.
>
> I do recall a discussion of Resolution #3 from the Bellevue SC34
> plenary in September regarding amendment of ODF 1.0 to align it with
> ODF 1.1. Although this resolution is never mentioned in Rob’s post,
> I’m guessing that this may be the discussion he’s alluding to.
>
> During that discussion, several participants (all non-Microsoft
> delegates from various NBs) expressing their concern about the
> apparent lack of progress on OASIS’s response to that resolution. Some
> felt that if such an amendment is never delivered then ISO/IEC 26300
> would not reflect actual practice among ODF users, in particular as
> regards accessibility issues. The theoretical concept of withdrawal of
> ODF 1.0 only came up in a side discussion about what might happen if
> the ODF TC never responds to Resolution #3 and ODF 1.2 gets a new IS
> number, leaving ISO/IEC 26300 as a historical relic that is not
> aligned with existing practice or existing implementations.
>
> I agree with the way Alex Brown characterized that discussion on his
> blog recently
> (http://www.adjb.net/post/SC-34-WG-meetings-in-Paris-last-week.aspx):
>
> > Most significant of all is the work to align the ISO version of ODF
> with the current OASIS standard so that ISO/IEC 26300 and
>
> > ODF 1.1 are technically equivalent. The National Bodies present
> reiterated a consensus that this was desirable (better, by far,
>
> > than withdrawing ISO/IEC 26300 as a defunct standard) and are
> looking forward to the amendment project.
>
> I don't recall any Microsoft employee saying anything at all about
> this matter in the WG6 meeting. I listened to the opinions of others,
> but didn't express any opinion of my own during this discussion, and I
> believe the same was true of the other Microsoft employees present.
> Svante, since you were the other ODF TC member present, I'm curious
> whether you have any different recollection. And Rob, would you be
> [...]

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)