Subject: RE: [office] Proposal: Align IS 26300 to ODF 1.1 instead of 1.0 maintenance

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 01/04/2010
08:29:35 PM:

> Meanwhile, a clarification.  I wasn't thinking of the three
> statements-of-use condition for becoming an OASIS Standard but the
stronger
> requirement which apparently applies before JTC1 submission of either a
> 1.1-amendment or an ODF 1.2 OASIS Standard.

.
.
.

There are some subtleties here.

Before we can send out for a ballot of ODF 1.2, we need the 3 Statements
of Use.  There is a who and a what there we need to heed.  The who is "
OASIS Organizational Member".  This means that Individual or Associate
members are not able to provide a Statement of Use.  Unfortunately this
excludes several of the open source implementations like KOffice or
Gnumeric from helping us qualify.  On the other hand, the "what" is rather
modest: "successfully using or implementing that specification in
accordance with the conformance clauses".  Having three Organizational
Members state that they are using ODF 1.2 should not be difficult.

The Interop Demo requires three independent implementations, which is a
stricter requirement, but it allows participation from Individual members,
which opens it up to broader participation.  So I don't think having
enough qualifying participants will be a problem.  What will take time is
the planning and logistics needed to hold such a public-facing, physical
event.  In fact, the lead time needed for this is long enough that I think
we need to start planning for the ODF 1.2 Interop Demonstration soon.
Also, the purpose of the Interop Demo is primarily marketing, so we would
want to put some thought into designing a compelling multi-app demo,
something that would have promotional value for the participants and for
ODF in general.