Subject: Discussions: Options for ODF Versions at JTC1

Here are my thoughts on the topic raised in today's ODF TC Teleconference
Meeting.

It strikes me that we want to stabilize ODF 1.1 aligned with IS 26300.
(This might involve Errata for OASIS 1.1 to achieve alignment with an IS
26300:2006/AMD.)

Because of overlap with the development of ODF 1.2 and the differences in
conformance requirements and language throughout 1.2, I think that ODF 1.2
should be submitted as a separate three-part specification, if we can do so.
I also think that the two specifications will co-exist for a considerable
time, and that a stabilized ODF 1.1 will be important with regard to
documents that continue to exist and how they can continue to be consumed
properly even as ODF 1.2, ODF-Next, etc., continue to progress.

I think that the comment that Rob made about having a matrix that maps
provisions among the different versions of ODF to be very interesting.  I
don't think that challenge can be resolved in the timeframe within which we
hope to advance ODF 1.2 to ISO adoption, however.  That seems to be
something best done later when it is also clear what the feature update of
ODF 1.1 implementations has been, what OIC has been able to ascertain about
interoperability that impacts future ODFs, etc.  Also, if the schemas are
significantly different between versions, it may still be necessary to
maintain the separate individual schemas in any consolidation.

 - Dennis

Dennis E. Hamilton
NuovoDoc: Design for Document System Interoperability
mailto:Dennis.Hamilton@acm.org | gsm:+1-206.779.9430
http://NuovoDoc.com http://ODMA.info/dev/ http://nfoWorks.org