Subject: Re: [office] OFFICE-2656: Default Signing After Encryption isUnacceptable

Davin, Dennis.

I fully agree that there are valid use cases that the signature of an
encrypted document MAY also be encrypted.

But you also should agree that there are valid use cases to not encrypt
the signature, because you then can't verify document integrity in
automated processes w/o knowing the encryption keys.

So the specification should allow for encrypted signatures, but
shouldn't hinder not encrypted signatures in case of encrypted documents.

Wrt signing the decrypted version of the streams in an encrypted
document: It is not clear to me what this should be good for (except
that you could then sign XML data, which could also be in canonicalized
 form, instead of binary data).
Signing the encrypted streams, and using a not encrypted signature means
I can do automatic signature processing. With encrypted signatures, it
doesn't make much difference whether you sign the encrypted or the not
encrypted streams, but using the not encrypted streams means extra
processing time for decrypting them.

David - I think when MS Office / OOXML sign the not encrypted stream,
there is not a logical reason for doing so from the encryption/signature
point of view, but it's simply a pragmatic approach:

When ODF encrypts a document, the structure in the ODF (zip) package is
still the same like before, but with encrypted streams.
When  OOXML encrypts a document, it simply stores the not encrypted
OOXML (zip) package as an encrypted binary blob, wrapped in some new
OOXML package providing the encryption information. With the OOXML
approach, of course you always work on plain data, because you also
store the signature in the plain data package before doing the encryption.

Malte.