Subject: Re: [office] Encryption and data leakage

On 12 May 2010 10:06, Malte Timmermann <Malte.Timmermann@sun.com> wrote:
> I agree (except for file names, at least OOo doesn't keep file names,
> but in the end the spec doesn't guide what to do anyway).
>
> I would like to avoid way 1+2, but to directly go with way 3.
>
> a) It's IMHO the better approach
> b) Don't introduce interim changes, This breaks compatibility twice, and
> I am even not not sure if somebody would implement them at all.
>
> Another not yet mentioned approach would be to use/allow standard zip
> encryption including directory encryption (instead of way 1+2, but not
> as a replacement for 3).
> But I don't know if this would allow for different algorithms, nor do I
> know if the standard zip encryption is considered to be strong.
> I guess there are reasons that it hasn't be considered for ODF
> encryption from the beginning...

I think there may also be IP concerns about using "standard" zip
encryption.  From the application note:

"X. Incorporating PKWARE Proprietary Technology into Your Product

PKWARE is committed to the interoperability and advancement of the
.ZIP format.  PKWARE offers a free license for certain technological
aspects described above under certain restrictions and conditions.
However, the use or implementation in a product of certain technological
aspects set forth in the current APPNOTE, including those with regard to
strong encryption, patching, or extended tape operations requires a
license from PKWARE.  Please contact PKWARE with regard to acquiring
a license."

Regards
Bob