Subject: RE: [office] Encryption and data leakage

I don't disagree.

 1. I would not use the ODF manifest-carried encryption in the outer Zip at
all, though.  Aren't there W3C XML formats for that specific task that we
can use so we are freed from defining and maintaining a custom mapping to
ODF-defined attributes and elements?

 2. I think this encryption should be decoupled completely from content
signings and whatever those signings attest to and are non-reputable
concerning.

 3. I am not sure what it means to sign the outer package.  If there is some
sort of authentication against damage or substitution of the package, that
is usually done by providing an external, possibly-signed message
authenticator.  I'm not sure what in-wrapper signing can be done that can't
simply be removed or replaced, and it won't be a signature of what the user
sees in the decrypted document in any case.  The decryption should have its
own checks against damage, and the Zip will already have a CRC32 of the
encrypted payload.

 4. I suppose the encryption information could carry a stronger
message-authentication check on the unencrypted/encrypted payload, but
that/those would be encrypted along with the decryption key.  I think David
LeBlanc has already made suggestions on this aspect.  It would be useful to
explore what XML Encryption already provides for this.  OOPS, now there are
comments from him I have not read yet ...

 - Dennis