Subject: RE: [office] Groups - OpenDocument-v1.2-part0-draft1-editor-revision.odt uploaded

I noticed the following about the part0-draft1 edition.

1. Conformance Section - the use of the letter "I" in making conformance clauses in Part 0 is a little confusing.  It would be better to use some less-ambiguous capital letter.  Perhaps "C" which has not been used.

2. The page numbers for the section locations in Parts 1-3 don't work.
For example, Part 0 indicates that Part 1 section 22.4 is at p.916.  My copy of Part 1 cd4-rev05 has section 22.4 on p.824 of 844.  The PDF that I obtained by Export to PDF in OO.o 3.2.0 has section 22.4 at p.819 of 839.  For cross-referencing into an HTML this may be even less helpful.

3. The use of active links in the enclosed Tables of Content is interesting.  If I have the *.odt files in the same directory together, I can follow links from Part 0 TOCs to the appropriate places in another part.  (This does not work with the Exported PDFs for some reason.)  There may need to be some non-normative information to that effect somewhere in Part 0.

4. Cross References.  I think it would be more helpful if the parts were listed in the normative references of other parts, so that they could be referenced in the usual way.  E.g., use "§2.7 in [ODF-Package]" rather than "§2.7 in Part 3."  This would allow the normative reference to be specific and detailed.  Whether the "§2.7" part could be an inter-document cross-reference is a separate but interesting question.

5. Appendices in the TOC.  I just don't understand why there are not links in the TOC to the sections of Appendices, just as there are links to other sections.  This is apparently a systematic exclusion and whatever its formal justification, it is a serious pain for users of these documents.  I don't understand what is so compelling about excluding navigatable links into Appendix material compared to the convenience that links offer to all users.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: michael.brauer@sun.com [mailto:michael.brauer@sun.com]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 05:40
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org

The document named OpenDocument-v1.2-part0-draft1-editor-revision.odt has
been submitted by Michael Brauer to the OASIS Open Document Format for
Office Applications (OpenDocument) TC document repository.

Document Description:
OpenDocument v1.2 Overview (editor version)

View Document Details:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=37809

Download Document:
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/37809/OpenDocument-v1.2-part0-draft1-editor-revision.odt