Subject: RE: [office] SC34 Ballot N1414 "New Work Item Proposal on Document Packaging"

I see no reason to take anything but a neutral position on this proposal of
a Document Package New Work Item at JTC1.

The proposal acknowledges that it is about existing technology on which
standards depend and which is in broad use, but there is no International
Standard or equivalent on which other specifications can rely.

It also appears that the scope is limited to precisely a subset that works
for document packaging as commonly relied upon as a substrate for IS 26300,
IS 29500, etc.  It is also proposed to deal with the case of packages that
carry XML documents as components of some sort of connected composite
structure and also standardize an use of Unicode in package information
(something not established by the Zip specification on which we and others
rely).

I agree that makes us stakeholders.  It would seem that the appropriate
action would be to ensure that whatever those beyond-basic-Zip XML-related
provisions are, they work for us.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 08:21
To: office@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [office] SC34 Ballot N1414 "New Work Item Proposal on Document
Packaging"

I'd like to draw the TC's attention to the following ballot in JTC1/SC34:
http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/open/1414.pdf

For the record I'd like to state that although we are clearly a
stakeholder,  the OASIS ODF TC was not consulted on this proposal, nor
have we discussed it as a TC, nor have we given our approval to it.

[ ... ]

Although as liaisons we cannot vote, the ODF TC can certainly submit
comments in response to this ballot.  Let me know if anyone has strong
opinions on this proposal.  If we can arrive at  a position that the TC
agrees with, we can submit it.  Deadline is  mid-July, I think.

Regards,