Subject: Re: [office] SC34 Ballot N1414 "New Work Item Proposal on DocumentPackaging"

Dennis,

> I mean, of course, competence in supporting standards-based interoperability by appropriate development of a specification suitable as an international standard.

Well, but that presumes subject matter competence.

Data compression, as I understand the term, is at least as complex an
area as document formats, and I would deeply resist a data compression
group suddenly deciding it had the competence to standardize a sub-set
of either ODF or OOXML.

Realize that is the argument that is being made, in addition to the
other difficulties with the proposal.

> If one believes that standards-based interoperability is not a matter of importance in this case, that is a different matter I suppose.  But it does raise the question of what it means for standards-based interoperability to be sought using specifications that rely on non-standards-based interoperability at their foundation.  Unless of course, we are not attempting standards-based interoperability ourselves.

You really need to see if the JTC 1 marketing department has an opening
with rhetoric like that. ;-)

The notion of "...standards-based interoperability...." does not rest on
standards only citing JTC 1 or even SC 34 work products.

Using Annex N we can create a "Referenced Specification" (RS).

I find it amusing to consider that one of the criteria is:

> the degree of market acceptance of the proposed RS; and

Err, how do you say *universal* in ISO speak?

Creating a "standard" for some sub-part of ZIP (assuming that is even
meaningful and that we could do it without screwing up compatibility
with the real ZIP standard) is the long way round to have a
bibliographic citation of ZIP to support "...standards-based
interoperability...."

The only question is how to create a citation to a "standard" that
already exists.

Why not take the easy route?

Patrick
>   - Dennis