Subject: RE: [office] Not an JIRA issue, yet....

Yes, in this case, the host is ODF 1.2 Part 1.  This is nomenclature that
arises in later versions of HTML, RDF[a]. For example, MathML is designed to
be hosted in other specifications. Likewise for Dublin Core, although I am
not sure they use that term unless in later materials on integration and
interoperable use.

ODF 1.2 Part 2 specifies a set of Host-Dependent properties (and an abstract
interface) on which a number of characteristics of OpenFormula evaluations
depend.  These can be specified in ODF 1.2 Part 1 for the different places
where OpenFormula can be employed.

The ODF 1.2 Part 1 can stipulate how the property is determined in an ODF
document (e.g., when there is a setting that applies) or it can leave
determination of some properties to be either implementation-dependent,
implementation-defined, or even unsupported.  Also, even when a property is
established in the ODF 1.2, there might be implementation-dependent or
implementation-defined provisions that come along (e.g., a setting that
applies but that has provisions that are permissive/discretionary with
regard to implementations).

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Durusau [mailto:patrick@durusau.net]
Sent: Friday, August 06, 2010 06:56
To: ODF office
Subject: [office] Not an JIRA issue, yet....

Greetings!

I wanted to ask about something before possibly raising it as a JIRA issue.

To what extent, if any, are "
host-dependent properties: " 19.644 table:formula, different from being
implementation dependent?

I ask because we use terms like "HOST-CASE-SENSITIVE" and then give the
attribute with a default value.

This *does not appear in ODF 1.0/1.1* so we are not committed to this
terminology, yet.

Note that HOST-LOCALE doesn't have a default value but is said to be
"implementation-defined."

Is there a distinction between an implementation and a host?

Hope everyone is looking forward to a great weekend!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net