Subject: Re: [office] Not an JIRA issue, yet....

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 08/06/2010 09:56:27 AM:

> I wanted to ask about something before possibly raising it as a JIRA
issue.

> To what extent, if any, are " host-dependent properties: " 19.644
> table:formula, different from being implementation dependent?

See section Part 2, section 3.4 "Host-Defined behaviors".  If we use
"host-dependent" then this is an error.  You probably also want to give a
cross reference in 19.644 pointing to Part 2, Section 3.4.

Host-defined is different than implementation-defined.

If something is called implementation-defined, then the implementation
must define the behavior.  But for some things in Part 2, the behavior is
not determined by the formula evaluator, but by the hosting application.
If we called it implementation-defined, then this would presume that the
formula evaluator is aware of its host.  This breaks the desired
independence of the component model.  We want the formula evaluators
(ideally) to be plugable, meaning that they do not have an explicit
dependency on their host.

This is a standard engineering technique.  If you have a mutual dependency
between components A and B and you want to factor out that dependency,
then you introduce a new interface, call it C, and use that to express the
dependencies.  So instead of having Part 2 depend on Part 1, we use
host-defined properties to express the dependencies and move their
definition into Part 1.

> I ask because we use terms like "HOST-CASE-SENSITIVE" and then give
> the attribute with a default value.
>
> This *does not appear in ODF 1.0/1.1* so we are not committed to
> this terminology, yet.

Correct.

> Note that HOST-LOCALE doesn't have a default value but is said to be
> "implementation-defined."

Correct.  In this case, since we are in Part 1, the implementation is the
ODF Spreadsheet Consumer.

> Is there a distinction between an implementation and a host?

Host is a species of implementation.  In theory you could use
"implementation" everywhere, but then you would need to be very careful to
say exactly which implementation you were giving a requirement on: the
formula evaluator (Part 2) or the ODF Spreadsheet Consumer (Part 1).

Not that saying that something was "implementation-defined" in Part 2
would imply that the formula evaluator would need to define it.  But this
is not what we want.  We really want to say "This property is defined by
the spreadsheet application".  So we could say, "ODF Spreadsheet
Consumer-defined (Part 1) behavior".  But this is also not desired, since
Part 2 could be used in other contexts other than an ODF spredsheet
document.  But in those other contexts the existence of host-defined
properties is still relevant.  We want to express a dependency on a "host"
where the host could be Part 1, or it could be something else.

-Rob