Subject: Re: [office] Accelerated Updates to ODF

Hi Dennis

On 16 August 2010 16:07, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
> In our discussions on today's call, we talked about ways to fast-track some
> updates to ODF separate from the ODF-next process, both so ODF-next would
> not be weighted down with them and so major aspects of ODF-next can be
> focused on.
>
> Examples that come to mind have to do with change-tracking improvement and
> improved security provisions around signatures and encryption.

These are the two improvements which I had also in mind.  The point I
think is not to create a new process but to think about the bag of
issues that currently exist and identify those of them which are (i)
relatively fully proposed (and thus have likely champions), (ii) seen
as sufficiently urgent and (iii) within the bounds of reasonable
implementation within a short time frame.  These would then constitute
the first batch of odf-next issues to be targeted at a subsequent
update version (say 1.2.1).   A major concern for me is that we find a
way to address proposals where a considerable amount of work has been
put in rather than shelve for some distant new release.

It might well be that, in response to the Oasis release of 1.2 and
subsequent submission to ISO/JTC1, there will be such an update
release to 1.2 anyway.  In this regard we could be thinking of folding
some of these proposals in there.

> I think one should consider the idea of supplements (further parts, if you
> like) that are approved for ODF 1.2.  With regard to the complexity of
> submission to JTC1, perhaps ISO/IEC JTC1 handling as coordinated amendments
> through SC34 WG6 would be fruitful?
>
> I don't know all of the details, but that seems like an avenue to explore.

I don't really know the details of how best to handle coordinated
amendments either.  Probably it is something which will be discussed
on WG6.

Regards
Bob