Subject: finding the style value for a property

Hi all,

Today I was reading paragraph 16.2 of OpenDocument-v1.2-cd05-part1-editor-
revision_01.odt.

I tried to deduce how to resolve certain properties for certain ODF fragments.

<text:p text:style-name='A'>
  <text:span text:style-name='B'>
    <text:span text:style-name='C'>
      Hello
    </text:span>
  </text:span>
</text:p>

Assume that styles A, B and C have no parent styles and both A and B determine
fo:font-size at 10 and 20 respectively. If I follow the instructions in 16.2,
I would conclude that 'Hello' should be shown with font-size 10, since the
instructions there say that if the style on the element does not define a
property, next one should look at the style for the containing paragraph,
thereby skipping style 'B'. That seems wrong to me.

This is the relevant instruction:
"For styles where the style:family attribute 19.478 has the value text,
applied to an descendant elements of a paragraph which defines character
content 6.1.1, the paragraph style applied to the paragraph containing those
elements is searched for the formatting property."

And a second issue. Given this fragment:

      <text:p>
        <text:span>
          Hello
        </text:span>
      </text:p>

I would expect that, to determine what value to use for a property, one would
look at the default-style with style:family="text", yet the specification
states:
  "In all other cases, or if a value for the formatting property has not been
found by any of the family specific rules, a default style 16.4 that has the
same family as the style initially declared sets the value. If there is no
value specified in that default style, an implementation specific value is
used."
So there is no rule that says what style to use if no style-name is defined on
an element. I would assume that the default value for the style that is
allowed on that element would be the one to search for a property value next.
That would be <style:default-style style:family='text> in this case.

Cheers,
Jos