Subject: Re: [office] Proposals via office-comment

Hi Dennis,

  In order to subscribe (and therefore post) to the comment list, the submitter must first agree to the feedback license, which gives the TC permission to use whatever is submitted. No additional hoops are necessary. There is no such thing as a 'non-obligated' contributor.

Regards,

Mary

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote:
It occurs to me that arrival of proposals via the office-comment list, as opposed to specific comments on ODF specifications, is straining the bounds of the commenter agreement.  This is different than wandering off into discussion.  Rather, I have concerns on substantial proposals that are essentially new work items or offering of additional technologies.  These appear to be contributions of a rather different, substantial nature from non-obligated contributors.

This occured to me with regard to the "Proposal to improve change tracking in ODF" recorded as OFFICE-3312, <http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-3312>.  It may apply to the one received today as well.

I have not examined the proposal materials for OFFICE-3312, and I don't think I'll be looking at this one on font features either.  We might even need some sort of clean-room procedure for vetting proposals of this kind to ascertain whether a contributor agreement is required in lieu of TC Member obligation (and confirming that the contributor has the authority to provide such an agreement).

 - Dennis

PS: I am not aware of any such case, but are we clear that any proposals from former members that have been incorporated in ODF 1.2 are covered by the obligations of such members before their departure from the ODF TC?

PPS: When a proposal is to adopt provisions of a different standard, the situation is a little different, assuming that the IPR policy for such a third-party specification is compatible with that established for OASIS OpenDocument specifications.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Stribley [mailto:devel@thanlwinsoft.org]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 06:06
To: office-comment@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: martin.hosken@sil.org
Subject: [office-comment] Proposal for adding Font Feature support to ODF

Dear all,

Please consider the attached proposal for adding support for Font Features to the ODF format. Font Features
are a way to control rendering of a specific font-family beyond that allowed by just font-weight and font-style and we believe that they would be a useful addition to the ODF standard.

Best regards,

Keith Stribley