Subject: Re: [office] A few thoughts on ODF change tracking

Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 09/21/2010 03:34:29 PM:

> Rob,
>
> I think part of the issue is simply one of resources. With everyone at
> near max trying to resolve/apply all the remaining issues, there simply
> aren't enough resources for "complete" review, acknowledging that there
> is no "complete" change tracking.

That is something for each TC member to weigh for themselves:  The benefit
of delivering the enhancements and improvements that ODF 1.2 already has
based on the 3 years of work that has gone into it, against the
enhancements and improvements that we could continue to add to it by
holding back on approval of ODF 1.2.  I think we're a point now, where the
draft is pretty darn good in a lot of areas, and that any further delay
means holding back completed work.  It was different maybe a year ago,
say, when there was room to develop new features as OpenFormula finished
up.  But now all the pieces have come together.  We can't add more without
delaying the approval and publication of the work that is already done.

> Having said that, Oliver has devoted a good deal of effort to producing
> a coherent solution and one that may serve us for ODF 1.2.
>
> Not to look too far into the future, should some NB take exception to
> the change tracking in ODF 1.2, it may well be the case that if that and
> some other obvious topics are treated as part of the next release, we
> may have the time/resources to produce a version by the time to answer
> NB comments that addresses those concerns.
>
> I don't mean to suggest that as a means to avoid fixing any known issues
> with the current version but I do mean to suggest that if we can devise
> a schedule after ODF 1.2 is out the door for the production of
> subsequent versions, that will encourage a better development process.

It is a non-goal for me to make everyone happy.  It is clear that for
every person who will say, "Why did you approve ODF 1.2 without X?" there
is another person already asking, "Why is taking you so long to complete
ODF 1.2 so we can have Y?"

> Before any implementors work on "complete" change tracking, I would
> really like to see RDF based metadata support.

Have you seen the work in KOffice and Freoffice?  We're starting to see
implementations.

Regards,

-Rob