Subject: RE: [office] RE: XAdES support in ODF

Bart, I think we went off on a tangent in talking about manifest entries for
[pseudo-]sub-documents.  I don't think any of us think there is any way
those show up in a signature other than the signature of manifest.xml (and
lord knows what manifest.rdf does with them if anything -- I'm afraid to
look).  There's no cheese at the end of that maze, and nothing to change in
the specification.

On the more interesting topic of signing every file in the Zip, there is the
difficulty, as you point out, of not knowing whether the files are material
to the document and what is being signed.  And we don't know what
significance there might be in the mere existence of a package file, even
when its content is of length 0.

I believe the only way out of that is with more powerful transforms that
deal with exactly what it is that is perceivable to the signer and that is
being signed.  This is not something we have available at this point, but it
would be good for folks to come up with some.  Also, I wonder if it would
work to have the transform that is so used also be a (signed) part of the
(signed) package.  Hmm ...

Even if we said there was a prefix (e.g., "not-signable/") that began the
name of every package file that is to be excluded from signing, we have no
way of establishing that the presence of something there is not bogus, and
there is no way to prevent it being included in a signature anyhow.

It seems to me that this is not a road we can go down either, at this point.

 - Dennis