Subject: RE: [office] RE: Directories in Zip packages

I second that, but then it must be prohibited (if it is only discouraged, one still
has to sign those empty dirs, just in case... that's probably what David meant
in his previous post)

Bart
From: Dennis E. Hamilton [dennis.hamilton@acm.org]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 6:28 PM
To: robert_weir@us.ibm.com; Hanssens Bart
Cc: 'David LeBlanc'; Cornelis Frank; office@lists.oasis-open.org

+1

-----Original Message-----
From: robert_weir@us.ibm.com [mailto:robert_weir@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2010 05:59
To: Hanssens Bart
Cc: dennis.hamilton@acm.org; 'David LeBlanc'; Cornelis Frank;
office@lists.oasis-open.org

[ ... ]

My guess is authors of this straightforward approach will often fail to
properly handle the empty directory case, both on reading and on writing.
(We have no way of notating an empty directory in the manifest).  So I'd
favor a recommendation against (should not) or a prohibition against
(shall not) an ODF package containing empty directories.  We have no need
of it, and it will probably not work well across implementations.