Subject: RE: [office] Thoughts on ODF-Next

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 12/17/2010
02:46:46 PM:

> I think there is another matter of importance to recognize here.
>
> The production of CSDs is cumulative, not modular.  That is, every CSD
that
> is produced has to incorporate the (current form) of features in
previous
> drafts and be for all four parts of ODF x.y assuming the ODF 1.2
structure
> is maintained.

Certainly, to the extent we remain as a single, multi-part standard, all
parts need to go out for review together, even if any individual part has
not changed.  This is not a huge problem.  It just is more work in putting
together the review materials.

> Furthermore, the cumulative (or even incremental-only) change tracking
would
> become nightmarish since, presumably, each CSD in the track model would
> incorporate entire new features.

I don't see this as a particularly nightmarish.  How is it different than
what we just did to put together the review materials for CSD 06?
Remember, each 15-day review is only incremental, showing changes back to
the previous public review.  We don't need to show all changes back to CSD
01 (or whatever our initial 30-day review version was).

> I'm not sure how the subsequent public reviews in such a situation could
be
> reduced to 15 days, if we are grafting in feature modules at each cut.

The process says the review is for a  "minimum of 15 days".  So the TC
could vote to hold a longer review if there were additional review time
were required.

> Perhaps one might do effected parts only in some Public Reviews, but at
some
> point we are back to having to do a full review series to put a set of
> drafts on the Committee Specification and Standard track.

I think every public review will need to have the complete specification
under review.

> Maybe we need to take another look at modularization with supplements as
> well as the handling of extensions and the prospective movement of
> extensions from practice to standard.

I think modularization would improve things, but only if done right.  It
is the old analysis question:  how do you maximize intra-module cohesion
while at the same time reducing inter-module dependencies?  Parts 2 and 3
are in relatively good shape.  But Part 1 is still very monolithic.  No
matter what we do process-wise, an 850-page specification is going to be
tough to edit, to review and to revise.  I suspect that modularization
will also help implementors.

-Rob

>  - Dennis

CSD/public