Subject: Fw: [office] ODF v1.2 submission for OS ballot

So we've received a good number of comments on the CD06 draft.  I've moved
all public comment list comments over into JIRA, where you can see them
classified as "affects" CD06, issues 3558-3652 inclusive.

I assume we want to fix all valid errors that were reported.  It seems to
be that there are two ways to fix the errors:

1) Revise the CD, vote to approve it as CD07, vote to send out for 15-day
public review, then approve as Committee Specification, then (under the
new OASIS rules) send for a further 60-day OASIS Candidate Standard public
review, then a ballot as an OASIS Standard.  This puts us out around 4
months, to April.  And this assumes that we do not receive, or opt not to
act on, additional reports of typographical errors during the 15-day
follow up review.

2) Do not revise the CD, but immediately vote to approve as Committee
Specification and ballot as an OASIS Standard (under the old rules),
giving us an OASIS Standard in February.  We could then make any
non-substantive changes in the form of Errata for ODF 1.2, which would
require only a 15-day public review.

So unless we think that there are serious technical changes needed, the
fastest way to a corrected text is to go forward with an immediate
Committee Specification vote now, followed by Errata (which could be
prepared in parallel with the OASIS Standard ballot) with an Approved
Errata ballot  immediately following approval of the OASIS Standard.
However, if we think that there are "must-fix" technical issues that arose
in the public review, then the current Approved Errata rules would not
allow substantive changes, i..e, changes that would make a conforming
implementation non-conforming.  You may have heard that the OASIS Board of
Directors is debating whether or not to relax that "substantive change"
restriction in Errata, but no final decision has been made, so we might
not want to bet on it quite yet.  But there is a likelihood that we'll
eventually be able to make technical corrections, but not technical
additions, in Errata.

In any case, I'd ask members to review the new JIRA issues that have been
entered during the public review.  These contain all comments received. If
there is any issue that you think is a "must fix"and is something that may
not be fixed in Approved Errata (under current rules) please be prepared
to bring this up on Monday's calls.  It would also help if you sent a note
to the list listing such issues.

Regards,

-Rob

----- Forwarded by Robert Weir/Cambridge/IBM on 01/01/2011 12:21 PM -----

From:
Mary McRae <mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org>
To:
<office@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:
12/30/2010 10:07 AM
Subject:
[office] ODF v1.2 submission for OS ballot

As today is my last official working day at OASIS, I'm writing this so
everyone is clear as to the possible timelines going forward. Robin has
been appointed interim TC Administrator and will be working closely with
you should you decide to move forward in January.

The public review ends 1 January. Comments were received, so the TC cannot
request a special majority ballot to approve as a Committee Specification
until 8 January. The ballot needs to START on 8 January so any advance
notification you can give Robin would be greatly appreciated. You will
also want to request a simultaneous ballot to submit the CS for OASIS
Standard ballot (contingent on the CS ballot passing). Both of these
ballots must be run by the TC Administrator and require special majority
to approve. The ballots will close at the usual 11:45pm ET on the 15th. In
the interim, the Chairs will want to assume approval and prepare the
formal OS submission request so that Robin receives it on or before
11:59pmET on the 15th. Should all those conditions be met, the ballot will
proceed per the old rules and the formal ballot will run 16-28 February.

Should the TC decide to make further changes to the specification, another
public review cycle will be required. At that point the TC will no longer
be able to take advantage of the transition period as noted in the TC
Process and will then need to follow the Candidate OASIS Standard
procedure.

All the best going forward,

Mary

Mary P McRae
Director, Standards Development
Technical Committee Administrator
Member Section Administrator
email: mary.mcrae@oasis-open.org
phone: 1.603.232.9090

Standards are like parachutes: they work best when they're open.

Important Links for all TC Members:
TC Handbook: http://docs.oasis-open.org/TChandbook/
TC Process: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/process-2010-07-28.php
TC Admin Requests: