Subject: Re: [office] ODF-Next - grouping issues?

robert_weir@us.ibm.com wrote:
> Patrick Durusau <patrick@durusau.net> wrote on 01/14/2011 02:30:38 PM:
>
>> >From my perspective, the following would be permissible (although not
>> required):
>>
>> CSD01 - Proposal for integrated styles accepted and integrated
>>
>> CSD02 - Proposal for Japanese table model accepted and integrated
>>
>> CSD03 - Proposal for change tracking accepted and integrated
>>
>> CSD04 - Corrections/changes to proposals from CSD01-03 plus whatever new
>> features are accepted and incorporated in CSD04, which then proceeds to
>> become an OASIS standard.

The problem with this approach is that we don't have any idea right now
how long the individual proposals may take. So, it is difficult if not
impossible to plan when these drafts should be ready.

>> Such that any feature, assuming it was accepted and then
>> specified/accepted, would never be more than 6 months away from
>> incorporation into an ODF CSD.
>>
>> Is that your understanding?
>>

> I was thinking more like this
>
> CSD01: Integrate fixed from any ODF 1.2 Errata generated from ISO review
> of ODF 1.2.  Also any other work that is "ready to go" early.
>
> CSD02: Whatever other features are ready at this point
>
> CSD03: Last call for new features. This CSD is "feature complete" and goes
> out for public review.
>
> CSD04: No new features.  Just address issues raised in review.  It is a
> final editing release.  This is the version we hope will become the
> Committee Specification.

This is more what I'm thinking of. But we should also agree in advance
when the CSDs shall be ready. I further would like to keep the options
to also have a public review for CSD01 and CSD02.

> I think the main difference is I'd like to avoid introducing new features
> in the last CSD.
>
> I'm not strongly opposed to alternative approaches, but I do see clear
> liabilities with introducing last minute features into the final CSD.  I'd
> rather just insert a new CSD at that point, if we find it necessary to add
> a significant new feature.

I agree.

Michael