Subject: Re: [office] OFFICE-3311 - Identifiers - review and consolidateidentifiers and references to identifiers

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 13:05 -0700, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> For identifiers we use text:name, style:name and other various
> mechanisms.
>
> http://tools.oasis-open.org/issues/browse/OFFICE-3311
>
> Since names are sometimes displayed

These names should really not be displayed. For display purposes we have
attributes such as style:display-name.

>  and yet must also server as
> identifiers, that means some names are subject to restrictions, such as
> no spaces, that other names are not.
>
> I propose that we use xml:id as the universal identifier for ODF
> elements. All pointing is made to an xml:id.
>
> Where necessary for other purposes, such as display to users, the
> various *:name attributes can be retained but for use as names.
>
> I see three advantages to this change:
>
> 1) Implementors have to implement one pointing mechanism, not several.

This reason would have worked for 1.0. To make this change requires
implementors to support both mechanisms plus to handle possible
conflicts.

> 2) Localization requires only changing the display string, not internal
> pointing mechanisms.

As I said above for display we have style:display-name and friends.

> 3) Depending on the internal processing model, implementations do not
> have to store names used as targets. It is sufficient that the
> pointer/target is generated when the document is saved.

I don't see how that differs between the two models?

Andreas