Subject: RE: [office-collab] Proposed Roadmap for ADC SC work

I assume you are joking when you say silence is consent.

There are probably some things to do to tighten up SC activity so that you get more affirmative participation.

First, with regard to the roadmap, you might want to have a last call asking for any modifications or objections. You probably should have a meeting too to close on that.  Sometimes that is the only way to get folks attention.

Since the use cases represent a significant scope commitment, you might also need to find a way to rank them and arrive at a consensus on the prioritization.  It may take some work and a call or two to get to that, especially if there are clashes among the use cases.

More generally, I think you should consider the following:

1. The just-approved standing rules apply to this work.  (JIRA needs to be used.)  You don't need that for the roadmap, but proposal discussion need to be on JIRA.

2. The wiki doesn't work for documents-of-record or whatever the proper term is.  At some point there need to be documents in the ODF TC document repository that represent approved working documents and specific proposals (when too big for JIRA).  The roadmap should probably be one of those too.  (The document registry is versioned so you can add revisions with no problem, and you can update the status of an existing version to reflect approval and other comments.)

3. There need to be minutes that reflect SC activity and especially agreements at the SC level, although I think for anything substantive to go from working draft to approved in any way, there must be a motion at the ODF TC level and its outcome recorded in the ODF TC minutes.  (If an SC document is approved in this way, its status can be changed to reflect that, with a link to those minutes.)

4. With regard to JIRA, there is a Change Tracking component, and that should be set on all issues opened for the current effort.  (It probably should be added to older ones that were deferred too.  I'll look into that.  There is one pending-proposal JIRA issue already, assigned to Mingfei Jia.)  Apart from the amount of traffic that JIRA notices add to the ODF TC list (a procedural requirement), using JIRA in this way (1) gives anyone who cares notice of activity and actions and (2) it is easy to create filters and dashboards for focusing on and managing the progress of the issue development and resolution for the Change Tracking component.

 - Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Robin LaFontaine [mailto:robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2011 03:57
To: office-collab@lists.oasis-open.org

By way of update to this:

- no comments on the roadmap so I am taking silence as consent!
- Doug has said Microsoft are preparing a proposal for mid-March (thanks for the update, Doug)
- there is no other proposal in preparation as far as I am aware

We now have around 64 use cases and no suggestions for anything further here. Any proposal needs to demonstrate how these are handled. If you have any more, now is the time to add them.

Regards,
Robin

Robin LaFontaine wrote:
> In my email 7 Dec 2010 I said that I would draw up a suggested
> 'roadmap' for our development of our change tracking standard. Now
> that a schedule for ODF-Next has been published, it is a good time for
> us to plan how best to fit into this. I have tried to take into
> account the various discussions we have been having by email.
>
> I have put it on the wiki (1). Any comments welcome. You will see that
> if we keep to the proposed schedule we can submit to CSD01. This seems
> possible and better than aiming for CSD02 which, if we miss that,
> would make CSD03 our last chance. I think it is also best to get this
> in as early as possible to give time for refinement based on user
> feedback.
>
> (1) http://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/RoadMap

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Change control for XML"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK