Subject: RE: [office] Checking validity of ODF 1.2 Schemas

"Dennis E. Hamilton" <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> wrote on 04/06/2011
02:48:11 PM:

> RE: [office] Checking validity of ODF 1.2 Schemas
>
> Thanks for providing this, Rob.
>
> I think the only other cases would be any XML fragments in the
> specification documents themselves.
>
> I think "expressions" was being used in the OASIS document to refer
> to cases where there is source code or formulas of some sort.  This
> might apply to some places in the specification as well, with
> OpenFormula being a likely place to check for expressions.  Also,
> the places where BNF or some form of regular expression is used
> would also be candidates for review.
>
> I'll see if I can duplicate your checks, just for fun.

I suspect the RNG stuff is pretty clean now.  We've been using it for
validating text files, code generation for the ODF Toolkit, etc. for some
time now.  Of course, there is always the possibility that there was a
last minute stray character dropped in while doing a cut & paste or
something.  So always worth checking.

The OWL stuff has seen less use, as far as I can tell, and it is something
the TC has less experience with. So that is certainly worth a look.

Without a definition of "expression" and what "validity" means with
respect to an expression, I cannot make sense of that other requirement.
Elsewhere in the same requirement "well-formed" and "valid" are used in
their formal XML senses.  So it is odd to extend them to non-XML
constructs and silently slip in the undefined concept of a "valid
expression".  For example, my impression was that grammatically correct
EBNF grammars were termed "well-formed", not "valid".

In any case, I think the intent is that formal notations we use be
grammatically correct with respect to the formal grammars that we claim
the expressions are governed by.

-Rob