Subject: Questions about 3.4.1 (c)

Greetings!

A question came up today in the ODF TC about:

> Certification by the TC that all schema and XML instances included in
> the specification, whether by inclusion or reference, including
> fragments of such, are well formed, and that all expressions are valid;

Some of the issues identified:

1) Does "reference" include W3C schemas that are referenced by the
specification? SVG would be an example.

2) Approval of a document, as opposed to certification, would be more
consistent with the TC process.

3) A document for approval could be a schema validation report, using
some specified schema software.

4) Or a document for approval could be use of a schema with a set of
test cases.

I think part of the problem is that as used, "certification," isn't
meaningful. A TC can product a report, most likely by its editor,
reporting on the validation of a schema using some specified software
and vote to approve that report. But to "certify" an XML schema in the
abstract isn't a useful exercise.

Suggestion (to aid in discussion):

"The TC shall approve a report on any XML schema or XML instances
produced by the TC using test cases and/or XML software as to the
well-formedness and validity of such XML schemas or XML instances."

-- Added XML to schema, although that may be overly restrictive. Still,
if testing as XML is required, it really should be an XML schema.

-- Note that I simply suggest a report, doesn't say whether the report
result is not-well-formed or invalid. OASIS members can vote accordingly.

Hope everyone is having a great day!

patrick@durusau.net
Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)