Subject: Re: [office] Stairway to Interoperability

Svante Schubert wrote:
> The user expectation is fairly simple: For a user an ODF
> application is not only defined by our ODF specification, which is
> covering the persistent model of ODF, the document to be saved.
> Users have as well expectations on interoperability of the view of
> ODF (basically the layout) and the behavior (scripts, macros) the
> implicit known possible changes to be made on a document.  Only
> after the specification of all three (model, view, behavior) had
> been archived our work on an interoperable document standard is
> fulfilled.

Hi Svante,

I agree with you - it's like having an acid3 test for ODF
applications. Question of course is, what scope, breadth, and
governance this should have (so far, the answer to that was "outside
the OASIS TC", e.g. somewhat inofficially via officeshots).

But surely it's what users expect, and why serve them less in ODF
land, than what they get in the HTML universe?

Cheers,

--

Thorsten Behrens

Novell GmbH, Nördlicher Zubringer 9-11, 40470 Düsseldorf; GF: Jeff
Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer; HRB 21108 (AG Düsseldorf)

PGP signature