Subject: Re: [office] Group element

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 15:47 -0600, Patrick Durusau wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I have summarized some material on one of the issues for next Monday's
> TC meeting. More is to follow on other issues.
>
> See: http://odf.durusau.net/?p=138
>
> Please post comments to the list. (I have disabled commenting on the
> blog so all comments will be either here or on the comment list. The
> blog is an easier forum to write up comments that assembles content from
> different sources.)

I haven't had much time to think about the yet, but some immediate
observations;

1) The original comment by Leonard confuses application behaviour with
document format. While it may be reasonable to provide a way to define
"preferred" possibly discontinuous data region, it is definitely not
within the ODF scope to describe whether a single click can be used to
select that region or whether the user needs to provide some magic
incantation. That is clearly within the scope of a user interface
choice.

2) I would be very worried if clicking on some text would select a
discontinuous selection of text/data including some possibly invisible,
or not currently visible, data. The user may be easily persuaded to
paste this in some other application without really knowing what the
pasted data is. This has security implications.

3) The described user interface mechanism seems to take a users control
away of what to copy so a single click should surely not select some
random discontinuous data grouping. This behaviour would also be very
surprising to unsuspecting users.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow, PhD, FTICA