Subject: Re: [office] ODF Modularization Toward Document 2,0

Louis Suárez-Potts wrote:
> On 10 November 2011 18:55,  <robert_weir@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > We had talked about modularizing the ODF schema previously.  My colleagues
> > at the IBM Tokyo Research Center did an investigation of the possibilities
> > a while ago.  I just recently received permission to share their report.
> > Although it was looking at the ODF 1.0 schema, I think there are some good
> > insights here.
> >

> This is very good news indeed. From what I can guess, it opens a lot
> of opportunities and conceivably accelerates the deployment of ODF (or
> modules thereof) on implementations able to run on mobile devices and
> the like.

Hi Louis,

did you read the report? It basically says, ODF is not (easily)
modularizable, unless you change it incompatibly. I don't think
that's really good news.

I guess profiles would be more useful than this purely syntactic
modularization...

Cheers,

--

Thorsten Behrens

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg; GF: Jeff
Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)