Subject: Re: [office] 2.2.1 OpenDocument Document

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/REC-xml-20081126/

http://blog.jclark.com/2008/10/xml-10-5th-edition.html

> > Moving to XML 1.1 would bring similar concerns.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that adopting 5th edition would not
> invalidate old documents, only introduce the possibility that new
> documents would not be readable by old software. On the other hand, since
> it is software that is producing the new documents, is it not possible to
> legislate that they not use the new characters if they wish the documents
> to be readable by old software?

Sure.  But one easy way to legislate that new documents do not introduce characters that are not readable by older software is to remain on XML 1.0 4th edition.

ODF 1.2 is build on a stack of W3C standards, including RDF/XML, MathML, XForms, etc.  I believe they are all also stuck on 4th edition.  With compound documents and other formats layered on these base standards, a and the pre-existing software, it is tricky to upgrade support for the standards that are underneath, like XML and Unicode itself.

But I'm certainly open to good arguments for how users would benefit from a switch to 5th edition.

(And IIRC, there was a similar issue with OOXML, where it referred to 5th edition and then this was reverted back to 4th edition at the BRM.  But I could be wrong on the exact timing of this.)

-Rob