Subject: Fw: [office] ODF schema within public source repositories

Hi Chet,

I think this is probably a better question for you.

"Maven Central" is a publicly-accessible repository for coding artefacts, i.e., shared libraries, mainly in Java.  Programmers upload their libraries and assign them "coordinates" which is a naming convention that specifies the name of the library, the version, etc.  Having this central repository facilitates easy dependency management.  The programmer simply indicates the coordinates of his code's dependencies and they are automatically downloaded from Maven Central, along with their dependencies, and so on.  Very cool

It would be very useful for programmers writing ODF-related tools in Java to download if they could also download the ODF schemas from Maven Central this way, especially since we have Java programs, like the ODF Validator, that depend on the schemas.

I believe the copyright licence on OASIS Standards (and their enclosed schemas) allows us to do this.  But the question was whether OASIS wanted to take a coordinating role in defining the coordinates for their schemas.  I know we have OASIS coordinate other kinds of external registrations, such as MIME content types with IANA, etc.

For example, the coordinates of the ODF 1.2 schema  might be:

<groupId>OASIS</groupId>
<artifactId>OpenDocument-v1.2-os-schema.rng</artifactId>
<version>v1.2-os</version>

Let me know if you think OASIS would want to get involved here.  Might be a good question for the TAB as well.

Regards,

-Rob

----- Forwarded by Robert Weir/Cambridge/IBM on 04/01/2012 05:58 PM -----

From:        Svante Schubert <svante.schubert@gmail.com>
To:        Robin Cover <robin@oasis-open.org>,
Cc:        ODF TC List <office@lists.oasis-open.org>
Date:        02/22/2012 08:12 AM
Sent by:        <office@lists.oasis-open.org>

Hi Robin,

I would like to add the ODF 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 schema to a public Maven repositories for the build process of the Apache ODF Toolkit (incubating) project
[1], similar as it was done before for OOXML schema [2] for the Apache POI project [3].
The schema are being used for code generation. The advantage to copy the schema to the trusted Maven repository is, the schema would be downloaded only once by the Maven build tool, placed in a trusted local environment and not downloaded with every build. This would allow to build without Internet (e.g. in Café, Train, Airport, etc.).

Is there any legal process, I have to conduct with OASIS?

Thanks in advance,
Svante

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/odftoolkit/