Subject: Re: [office] Change Tracking: next steps

Sorry, not been able to answer during Easter time.  Keeping it short as I hope for movement on the Plugfest this week.

In the end we have to pick a proposal like we choose a new gadget (phone or TV). We compare what we need, with what each solution is offering compared to its price.
In our terms, the TC is providing the spec for ODF implementors. ODF implementors will than provide an ODF solution to end users, who are requiring change-tracking.

The ODF implementations mainly need to be able to receive sufficient information from the XML (what, where, when, who) to undo/roll-back changes.
They decide on a proposal in regard of
  1. Their implementation costs:
    1. Easiness of XML reading and information recognition for their ODF app (e.g. recognize the change was an "insert row" of a certain table)
      In other words: How much does it cost to "wire" the change information read from the document to their application model.
  2. Efficiency of XML encoding:
    1. Amount of additional XML to read (Does it scale? E.g. is the insert of a row in a 10 row table similar to a 1000 row table?)
    2. Can the changes be read independently from the content? (e.g. ODF spec has changes, but an ODF app is only interested in the changes, does not want to parse the huge content)
    3. Are there scenario with conflicts (e.g. xml:id within ECT basket or multiple users change an ODF XML attribute in GCT)
  3. Additional positive side-effect, e.g. for MCT:
    1. Documents can be easily merged, identifying merge-conflicts (user A edit a table cell, user B deleted the table)
    2. Change information can be reused for real-time collaboration
    3. Changes can be saved for a signed document without breaking the signature. Required for work-flow scenarios.
    4. The components (e.g. table, heading, section, image, etc.) and their operations identified to break up complexity can be used for profile creation (e.g. ODF subset mappable to HTML)
    5. Document mappings to other formats are able to be defined on the new high level changes. "Insert table row" works for all document formats HTML, OOXML, docbook, etc.
  4. Time of delivery
    1. When are the possible changes been specified by the TC. Note: That GCT needs to specify possible changes to allow interoperability.
Finally, we should be aware that the decision we will make, will most likely stick to the ODF standard for ever, blocking other approaches, because ODF 1.3 in OASIS + ISO will take about 2-5 years and once standardized it is hard to remove again. This means for application: the implementation of GCT (or ECT) for change-tracking and MCT for collaboration/merging would become quite a burden as two implementations will raise the complexity of the format and implementation costs of the vendors, while MCT would be sufficient for both.

But as I said, the Plugfest will be a good place to discuss this face to face.

Best,
Svante