Subject: Re: [office] Preparing ballot text -- I need your CT links

Robin,

Operational transformation was proven feasible in Google's Wave technology, if you want a recent example of its use. The actual history of operational transformation is a good bit older than that, all with proven implementations.

What the select committee report suggested was that operational transformations be specified for the limited case of change tracking, leaving more exotic applications/extensions for some future revisions.

The purpose of the proposed ballot is go get the TC out of study mode and into full specification and testing mode with regard to *a* change tracking proposal.

Note that I said "get the TC" into that mode.

NOT to assign work to particular members of the TC. That is the entire TC needs to start working on *a* change tracking proposal.

I have disagreed in the past and will no doubt in the future disagree with choices made by the TC on technical issues. That does not mean that I should wait for others to do the work simply because I disagree.

If the TC chooses MCT (which I think it should) and the *entire* TC works on it following that choice, we satisfy any concerns with testing long before it appears as a TC reviewed draft text.

That is to say, up to the point of decision, we have "our" positions.

After a TC decision, there is only the TC's position. (Which it can change at any point but we all need to be rowing in one direction, at least some of the time.)

Aside to Rob: Let's proceed with the ballot as you indicated on Monday.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick