Subject: RE: [office] Single XML file

I agree that the single XML file is very utilitarian.  It is adaptable to a wide variety of special-purpose uses and it is easy to generate, even manually and with or without a schema-aware editing tool.

Also,

 1. The existing change-tracking model, however ill-specified, works with the single XML file.

 2. It is a trivial matter to allow the RDF/XML <rdf:RDF> element or even node elements within the metadata section.  These can work without any need of the OWL classes or any of the other contortions.  Internal relative IRIs are also easy in this case.  The internal RDFa is already allowed although it is not clear to me why, since ODF uses XML, embedded RDF/XML wasn't allowed more generally in content.xml in the first place.  Of course it could be used anyhow in an extended ODF document.

 3. XML DSig and XML Encryption work with these XML documents, of course, and again, there is very little that needs to be said beyond their allowance.

 - Dennis

PS: I would also argue that just because there are pathological or at least impractical cases for the single XML file, that does not mean all single XML files are evil.  RTF is a text-based file structure and there seems to be no way to avoid accepting and producing RTF in interoperating office-productivity implementations.

-----Original Message-----
From: office@lists.oasis-open.org [mailto:office@lists.oasis-open.org] On Behalf Of Thorsten Behrens
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2012 06:52
To: Jos van den Oever
Cc: office@lists.oasis-open.org

Jos van den Oever wrote:
> The single xml file format for ODF is tremendously useful in my opinion, for a
> number of reasons. I will list what I think are reasons pro and contra the
> single xml format.

I concur with Jos. Highly useful when you want to stream stuff, both
in and out of odf processors. Also nice for being treated with
run-of-the-mill revision control systems.

Cheers,

--

Thorsten Behrens

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg; GF: Jeff
Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)