Subject: Review part names for ODF 1.3

Patrick and I had a recent call with OASIS staff (Paul and Chet) about multipart standards at OASIS.  Some of you may recall some of the issues we ran into with ODF 1.2 in this area.  The goal is to make this a bit easier, with some additional flexibility in how we allocate things like references, acknowledgements and conformance clauses across the parts.

One of the things that will be changing is how we number the parts.  With ODF 1.2 we had an unnumbered document that we fondly called "Part 0" and then three numbered parts.  So ODF 1.2 looked like this:

Master Table of Contents http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2.odt

Part 1: OpenDocument Schema
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2-part1.odt

Part 2: Recalculated Formula (OpenFormula) Format
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2-part2.odt

Part 3: Packages
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/OpenDocument-v1.2-part3.odt

One thing that is changing in ODF 1.3 is that all parts must be numbered, starting with 1.  So the unnumbered part needs a number.  One possibility is to call it Part 1 and then to increment the numbers on the other parts.

Part 1: Introduction
Part 2: OpenDocument Schema
Part 3: Recalculated Formula (OpenFormula) Format
Part 4: Packages
Part 5: Change Tracking

If we wish we can also change the ordering and/or rename the titles of the parts.

I'll add this to the agenda for Monday's TC call.  But I'd encourage you to give your thoughts on the list before the call as well.

Regards,